Monday, September 27, 2010

The system could not access your credential management server

On HP desktop and workstation computers that don't use biometric logins, I normally uninstall all of the HP ProtectTools stuff.  Well, I used to up to and including Vista and for some reason stupidly thought that maybe in Windows 7, HP had got their software working properly.  Apparently, this assumption was incorrect.

The main issue that I've seen in the past is that the HP ProtectTools suite seems to bork occasionally which then results in the error message I named this blog entry after: "The system could not access your credential management server..." and also occasionally the following error message: "The server is not responding properly. Verify that the Credential Manager server is properly installed on the target server."  There's then no way you can log in to this system - either locally or onto the domain  Fun, fun!

Well, the fix (temporarily) is to disable the HP Credential Manager during login and long term is to uninstall the HP ProtectTools suite to leave the system able to work properly and reliably.

So, here's the drum:

1. At the login screen, click on the Log on with Wizard... link




2. Using the Logon Wizard, check the "Do not Log On to Credential Manager" option under the "More..." button




3. Log on using a Domain Administrator account (or a Local Administrator account)




4. In "Control Panel\Programs\Uninstall a program", click on "HP Protect Tools Security Manager Suite" and click Uninstall.  If prompted to uninstall various other Suite components first, please do so.  Reboot and you'll be able to log in normally again!




Regards,

The Outspoken Wookie

12 comments:

RMS Europe said...

I tried some many things to get it working again, looked at so many website's but didn't find a solution.
The solution you posted here, did the job! Now we can login normal, I'd like to thanks you very much for the solution!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this blog...

Rob said...

Thanks a million for this blog. I'd forgotten how HP tools could cause problems like this. Great help!! Cheers. :)

Anonymous said...

I have used Credentials manager for quite some time now. The problem only started to occure after a recent password change. My fingerprint scanner works to log me in, but sometimes I want to log in with my keyboard. I need a fix, not a workaround.

Anonymous said...

You are an absolute star!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Legend. The laptop in question was starting to make me look bad :)

Unknown said...

Thanks , this solved my problem :-)

DEEPAK said...

Thanks Buddy Its working

SteveV said...

I was working in to the late and early morning hours when I came across your solution. This saved my but and gave me a chance to get some sleep.
Thank you!!

Hilton Travis said...

No probs. Glad I found the solution and was able to help others work through the issue. :)

Anonymous said...

Spot On. Thank You.

JMoffa said...

Nice one! Bless you.